Friendly Stranger Holdings Corp.
Assistant Brand Manager Media – Focus on New Store Open and Promotional Marketing
Established in 1994, Friendly Stranger is Canada’s most iconic cannabis culture shop that is widely revered for its friendly and knowledgeable service. Friendly Stranger has been a champion of cannabis devoted to activism, community and culture. We promote the environmental and economic benefits of all forms of cannabis while fostering a welcoming and open spirit. The soul of Friendly Stranger is a community brought together by a shared belief that grows with every new face that walks through our doors. Our mission is to connect Canadians through cannabis, to educate and inspire a community of togetherness, to befriend the world one stranger at a time.
In 2018, after an initial investment from Green Acre Capital, Friendly Stranger Holdings Corp (FSHC) announced an expansion to open retail locations across the country. In 2019, FSHC acquired Happy Dayz; with this merger, FSHC now operates 9 retail locations in Ontario and have an aggressive growth strategy, to open additional cannabis culture accessory stores as well as launching premium adult-use cannabis retail locations across the country.
Reporting to the VP of Marketing, this Assistant Brand Manager has a strong handle of the marketing and advertising game, possessing between 5-7 years’ brand/marketing experience in the Food Service/Bev Alcohol or ideally the Cannabis Industry.
This individual will be accountable for leading the brand’s overarching cannabis strategy and be able to deliver innovative marketing campaigns working with a small tight-knit team of friendly individuals. They’ll be focused on managing and executing against the set marketing communication strategy do well under pressure and tight timelines. This role will help to develop the annual Marketing & Promotional strategy for Friendly Stranger Holdings Corp Dual brands: Friendly Stranger and Happy Dayz communications plan, but focuses mainly on the execution of large-scale programs for our: New Store Open Media + PR, Licensed Producer and CCC Activation Shop and Local Calendars, Local Store Marketing for dual brands, FSHC support where necessary. Because of our size, this position is not just about managing but includes rolling up your sleeves to help get the work done.
This person will be required to work in constant collaboration with the Assistant Brand Manager of Product/Accessories + Digital Platforms, the agencies, the Operations team and (soon to be hired) Brand Coordinator.
The ideal candidate for this role has a strong capacity for collaboration, thrives in a face-paced and quick to change environment, is friendly and positive, has a healthy competitive drive and a passion for cannabis.
- Aid in the Development of the Annual Marketing & Promotional Planning for Friendly Stranger Holdings Corp Dual brands: Friendly Stranger and Happy Dayz…gaining alignment from internal and external key stakeholders
- Managing and helping to execute the plans for FS New Store Open Media + PR, Licensed Producer and CCC Activations, Local Store Marketing and supporting FSHC when necessary
- Planning and execution of all major marketing communications; creating ownable brand strategy and go-to-market plans that drive market share, brand awareness and accelerated growth
- Working within each brand to ensure all marketing and promotions reflect our vision, mission and key values of the brand
- Liaise with internal and external agencies to develop award-winning work: breakthrough creative and innovative media campaigns, ensuring brand guidelines and government restrictions are adhered to
- Measure and report on the performance of all marketing activities (ROI, KPIs, BCRs (budgets), working with ops/finance to figure out key learnings for future...etc.)
- Keeping abreast of the industry, key market trends, consumer markets, and competitors to recognize challenges and opportunities
- Launch the FSHC loyalty plan
- Help manage local store marketing efforts with multiple front-line staff + ABM
- BA or BS degree in Business, Marketing or related field of study
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ marketing communication experience and at least 4 year as a brand or marketing manager
- Experience executing on mass media campaigns, building brand strategies and devising unique campaigns to engage, educate and excite consumers
- Experience managing direct reports
- Strong understanding of the marketing mix, with ability to recommend effective strategies and objectives to management
- Proven capability and driving results and/or organizational change through others
- Data-driven, and comfortable with metrics and spreadsheets
- Superior communication, leadership and team-working skills
This is a full-time position based out of Toronto. We appreciate the interest from all candidates, and promise to review all applications, but we will only be contacting those who best fit the requirements. Your resume will be kept on file should another friendly awesome opportunity become available.
FSHC is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
The chosen applicant will be required to successfully complete background and reference checks.
Thank you so much for your interest!